I’ve been reading a lot of non-fiction lately. Books about grace, Jesus, motherhood, children, blogging, business, recovery, and healing. I’m thankful for those books. I needed to read a lot of them. If it sounds like I’m talking myself into them, it’s because I am.
What really really makes me happy is reading a good novel. I’ve always loved reading novels. Non-fiction is not natural for me.
I love novels so much that one day during my second year of college I was walking from one class to another thinking about what major I should declare. I walked and I thought. I debated about psychology or business or…other things that sounded practical and Potentially Money-Making. Finally I asked myself: “what do you love enough to dedicate yourself to for the next two years of your life?” Answer: “reading!” So my major was literature.
Literature is always worth reading. Sometimes just for the beauty of Story. Sometimes, as C.S. Lewis said, “to know we are not alone.”
Finding beauty in the world through literature is seeing God’s face in another mirror.
So, here are some of my favorite books for your reading pleasure:
- North & South Elizabeth Gaskell
- No. 1 Ladies’ Detective Agency Alexander McCall Smith set in Botswana, these books are meaningful while still being light-hearted
- Mark of the Lion Series Francine Rivers wonderful historical Christian novels set in the years after Christ’s death.
- My Russian Yesterdays Catherine De Hueck Doherty
- Half Broke Horses Jeanette Walls
- Call The Midwife Jennifer Worth
- The Highlander’s Last Song George MacDonald
- Christy Catherine Marshall I might have a slight prejudice towards this book because it’s got my name…but it’s still really good.
- Anna Karenina Leo Tolstoy yes it’s about an affair. But it’s really about why you shouldn’t have one. And it contrasts the sad story of Anna and Vronsky (who had an affair) with the beautiful story of Kitty and Levin (who were married)
- A Long Fatal Love Chase Louisa May Alcott seriously, a super fun find. The author of Little Women writing a book with such a dramatic title? Sign me up!
Note: Jane Austen is not included in this list because I figure her books are a given. If you haven’t read them stop everything you’re doing, go buy all of them, and begin reading. Don’t take breaks.
What are your favorite novels? I need some good summer reading material!
Every Tuesday, for the next eight weeks, I will be participating in a special Ten in Ten blog hop with iHomeschool Network.
This blog hop is inspired by Angie of Many Little Blessings. We would love to have you join us during our ten week adventure. Please link up at Angie’s blog by clicking the image below.